Main Article Content
Purpose of the study: The study aims to assess the influence of social distance on the tourist decision-making process on tourists visiting the Maasai Mara National Game Reserve using the construal level theory.
Methodology: Exploratory research design was used using regression equation modeling. The Borgardus social distance scale was adapted to structure the questionnaire. A sample of 157 tourists was selected. The data were analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistics which were used to determine the relationship between the variables. The hypothesis was tested at a 5% level of confidence.
Main Findings: The study established that the majority of the respondents understood and indicated that social distancing influenced their choice of a destination. Social distance (R=0.580, p=0.00<0.05) had a strong positive and significant influence on the contractual level of tourist choice of a destination. It was further established that construal level accounted for up to 33.6 percent of the variance in choice of destination (R2=0.336).
Applications of this study: The study recommends that the conventional consumer behaviour model can be enhanced in decision making by incorporating the construal level of destination decision making for tourists. It will be beneficial to the tourists visiting Maasai Mara National Game Reserve, the marketers, hotels and destination owners, and the government at large.
Novelty/Originality of this study: Decision-making is central to the satisfaction of a customer that seeks value for his/her money. Though research in consumer decision-making has been conducted before its application in tourist’s destination decision-making process remains new. This study sought to bring to light this link and fill this gap in the literature.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJTHR is a Sherpa Romeo Journal.
- Aleshinloye, K. D., Fu, X., Ribeiro, M. A., Woosnam, K. M., & Tasci, A. D. (2020). The influence of place attachment on social distance: Examining mediating effects of emotional solidarity and the moderating role of interaction. Journal of Travel Research, 59(5), 828-849. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287519863883 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287519863883
- Balliet, D., Tybur, J. M., & Van Lange, P. A. (2017). Functional interdependence theory: An evolutionary account of social situations. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 21(4), 361-388. https://doi.org/10.1177/1088868316657965 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1088868316657965
- Benschop, N., Nuijten, A.L.P., Keil, M. et al. (2020). Construal level theory and escalation of commitment. Theory Decis. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11238-020-09794-w DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11238-020-09794-w
- Bhandari, R. (2017). Debts and Uncertainty: Circulation of Advance Money among Tourism Entrepreneurs in Agra, India, Research in Economic Anthropology, in: W., Donald C. (ed.), Anthropological Considerations of Production, Exchange, Vending and Tourism, 37, 233-256, Emerald Publishing Ltd. https://doi.org/10.1108/S0190-128120170000037011 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/S0190-128120170000037011
- Çelik, S. (2019). Does tourism reduce social distance? A study on domestic tourists in Turkey. Anatolia, 30(1), 115-126. https://doi.org/10.1080/13032917.2018.1517267 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13032917.2018.1517267
- Çelik, S. and Dedeoğlu, B.B. (2019), "Psychological factors affecting the behavioral intention of the tourist visiting Southeastern Anatolia", Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Insights, 2(4), 425-450. https://doi.org/10.1108/JHTI-01-2019-0005 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/JHTI-01-2019-0005
- Chen, H., & Rahman, I. (2018). Cultural tourism: An analysis of engagement, cultural contact, memorable tourism experience and destination loyalty. Tourism Management Perspectives, 26, 153-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tmp.2017.10.006 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tmp.2017.10.006
- Erul, E., Woosnam, K. M., Ribeiro, M. A., & Salazar, J. (2020). Complementing theories to explain emotional solidarity. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1080/09669582.2020.1800718 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/09669582.2020.1800718
- Huete-Alcocer, N., López-Ruiz, V. R., & Grigorescu, A. (2019). Measurement of satisfaction in sustainable tourism: A cultural heritage site in Spain. Sustainability, 11(23), 6774. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11236774 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/su11236774
- Joo, D., Tasci, A. D., Woosnam, K. M., Maruyama, N. U., Hollas, C. R., & Aleshinloye, K. D. (2018). Residents' attitude towards domestic tourists explained by contact, emotional solidarity and social distance. Tourism Management, 64, 245-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2017.08.012 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2017.08.012
- Kalkstein, D. A., Kleiman, T., Wakslak, C. J., Liberman, N., & Trope, Y. (2016). Social learning across psychological distance. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 110(1), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1037/pspa0000042 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/pspa0000042
- Kharouf, H., Biscaia, R., Garcia-Perez, A., & Hickman, E. (2020). Understanding online event experience: The importance of communication, engagement and interaction. Journal of Business Research, 121, 735-746. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.12.037 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.12.037
- Kumar, R. R., Stauvermann, P. J., Patel, A., Kumar, N., & Prasad, S. (2016). Exploring the nexus between tourism and output in Cook Islands: an ARDL bounds approach. Social Indicators Research, 128(3), 1085-1101. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-015-1070-y DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-015-1070-y
- Lee, V. H., Hew, J. J., Leong, L. Y., Tan, G. W. H., & Ooi, K. B. (2018). Mobile social tourism shopping: A dual-stage analysis of a multi-mediation model. Tourism Management, 66, 121- 139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2017.10.005 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2017.10.005
- Liu, Q., Zhang, X., Huang, S., Zhang, L., & Zhao, Y. (2020). Exploring consumers' buying behavior in a large online promotion activity: The role of psychological distance and involvement. Journal of theoretical and applied electronic commerce research, 15(1), 0-0. https://doi.org/10.4067/S0718-18762020000100106 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4067/S0718-18762020000100106
- Liu, Y., Sun, Q., Zhang, H., & Lu, J. (2017). Increased social distance makes people more risk-neutral. The Journal of social psychology, 157(4), 502-512. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224545.2016.1242471 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00224545.2016.1242471
- Nuraeni, S., Arru, A. P., & Novani, S. (2015). Understanding consumer decision-making in tourism sector: conjoint analysis. Procedia-Social and behavioral sciences, 169, 312-317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.315 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.315
- Prasad, S., Nair, K., & Purohit, H. (2019). Tourist Satisfaction: An Analysis of Push and Pull Factors-A Case of Qatar Tourism. Journal of Management (JOM), 6(2), 187-199. https://doi.org/10.34218/JOM.6.2.2019.022 DOI: https://doi.org/10.34218/JOM.6.2.2019.022
- Stephan, E., Shidlovski, D., & Heller, D. (2017). Distant determination and near determinism: The role of temporal distance in prospective attributions to will. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 68, 113-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2016.06.006 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2016.06.006
- Tan, W. K. (2017). Repeat visitation: A study from the perspective of leisure constraint, tourist experience, destination images, and experiential familiarity. Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, 6(3), 233-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdmm.2016.04.003 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdmm.2016.04.003
- Thyne, M., Watkins, L., & Yoshida, M. (2018). Resident perceptions of tourism: The role of social distance. International Journal of Tourism Research, 20(2), 256-266. https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.2179 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.2179
- Thyne, M., Woosnam, K. M., Watkins, L., & Ribeiro, M. A. (2020). Social Distance between Residents and Tourists Explained by Residents' Attitudes Concerning Tourism. Journal of Travel Research, 59 (5), 828–49. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287520971052 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287520971052
- UNWTO (2019). Understanding tourism: basic glossary.
- Woosnam, K. M., Draper, J., Jiang, J. K., Aleshinloye, K. D., & Erul, E. (2018). Applying self-perception theory to explain residents' attitudes about tourism development through travel histories. Tourism Management, 64, 357-368. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2017.09.015 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2017.09.015
- WTTC. (2018). Domestic Tourism: Importance and Economic Impact. London: WTTC.
- Yan, B. J., Zhang, J., Zhang, H. L., Lu, S. J., & Guo, Y. R. (2016). Investigating the motivation-experience relationship in a dark tourism space: A case study of the Beichuan earthquake relics, China. Tourism Management, 53, 108-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2015.09.014 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2015.09.014
- Kimaiga, R. K., Kihima, B. O., & Nzioka, A. (2018). Homestay tourist accommodation as a tool for Socio-Economic Well-Being of rural communities in Kenya. Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Management, 6(4), 143-151. https://doi.org/10.17265/2328-2169/2018.08.001 DOI: https://doi.org/10.17265/2328-2169/2018.08.001
- Kothari, C. (2017). Research methodology methods and techniques by CR Kothari. Published by New Age International (P) Ltd., Publishers, 91.
- Schreurs, B., Hamstra, M., Segers, M., & Schmitte, K. (2018). Where to seat the applicant? How spatial distance influences the effect of self‐promotion on interviewer evaluations. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 48(8), 448-456. https://doi.org/10.1111/jasp.12524 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jasp.12524
- Yankholmes, A., & Timothy, D. J. (2017). Social distance between local residents and African–American expatriates in the context of Ghana's slavery‐based heritage tourism. International Journal of Tourism Research, 19(5), 486-495. https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.2121 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.2121