Main Article Content
Purpose: Location-based marketing has become an essential component in today’s businesses. The principal objective of this study is to investigate the growing significance of using location-based marketing services to small and medium-scale marketers and customers.
Methodology: This is an exploratory study, which aims to explore the impact of location-based marketing on the retail sector of the Al Batinah region in the Sultanate of Oman.
Main Findings: Social media platforms play an important role in the Location-Based marketing of various retail sectors such as SME’s and these platforms play a major role in helping retailers to make decisions whether they wish to market their products by using this platform or not.
Implications: All organizations’ top-level management must focus on data mining to identify the right customers and at the same time they should focus on innovative marketing strategies on LBS.
Novelty: This study provides motivations and insights that drives businesses and customers to use these LBM services.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJMIER is SHERPA ROMEO Journal.
- Akdağ, S.G, & Ergen, A. (2020). Role of location-based mobile apps in city marketing: Beşiktaş as a student-friendly district. Journal of Location Based Services, 14(2), 49-70. https://doi.org/10.1080/1 7489725.2020.1788184
- Banerjee, S., Xu, S., & Johnson, S. D. (2021). How does location-based marketing affect mobile retail revenues? The complex interplay of delivery tactic, interface mobility and user privacy. Journal of Business Research, 130, 398–404.
- Bauer, Christine & Strauss, Christine. (2016). Location-based advertising on mobile devices: A literature review and analysis. Management Review Quarterly, 66. 159-194.
- Bedgood, L. A. R. I. S. A. (2020, July 20). Changes in Consumer Behavior During COVID-19. Business 2 Community. https://www.business2community.com/consumer-marketing/changes-in-consumer-behavior-during-covid-19-02331693
- Bernritter, S.F., Ketelaar, P.E. & Sotgiu, F. (2021). Behaviorally targeted location-based mobile marketing. J. of the Acad. Mark. Sci., 49, 677–702.
- Bertini, M., & Aydinli, A. (2020). Consumer Reactance to Promotional Favors. Journal of Retailing, 96(4), 578–589.
- Chen, Jengchung & Su, Bo-chiuan & Yen, David. (2014). Location-based advertising in an emerging market: A study of Mongolian mobile phone users. Int. J. of Mobile Communications, 12. 291 - 310.
- Fong, N. M., Fang, Z., & Luo, X. (2015). Geo-Conquesting: Competitive Locational Targeting of Mobile Promotions. Journal of Marketing Research, 52(5), 726–735. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmr.14.0229
- Guido, Jorge Carlos Fiestas Lopez & Tuzovic, Sven (2018) Leveraging location-based services to disrupt retail showrooming. In 2018 Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC) Conference, 2018-12-03 - 2018-12-05.
- Handly, B. (2019). Learn how the different types of location-based marketing tactics work so you can utilize them efficiently for your brand.
- He, Wenbo & Liu, Xue & Ren, Mai. (2011). Location Cheating: A Security Challenge to Location-Based Social Network Services. Proceedings - International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems.
- Jaradat, A., Mohamad, N. A., Asadullah, A., Ebrahim, S. (2015). Issues in Location Based Marketing: A Review of Literature System Information. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 5(1).
- Khan V.-J., Ketelaar P., van 't Riet J., Konig R., Rozendaal E.,Batalas N. & Markopoulos P., (2017). Does location congruence matter? A field study on the effects of locationbased advertising on perceived AD intrusiveness, relevance & value. Computers in Human Behavior, 73, 695-668. https://doi.org/10. 1016/j.chb.2017.03.003
- Law, R., Chan, I.C.C & Wang, L. (2018). A comprehensive review of mobile technology use in hospitality and tourism. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 27(6), 626-648.
- Moody, M. (2015). Analysis of Promising Beacon Technology for Consumers. Elon Journal of Undergraduate Research in Communications, 6(1). Retrieved from http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/a?id=1136
- Sperling, D & Gordon, D. (2009). Two Billion Cars: Driving Toward Sustainability.
- Tsekouras, D., Dellaert, B. G. C., Donkers, B., & Häubl, G. (2019). Product set granularity and consumer response to recommendations. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 48(2), 186–202.
- Tussyadiah, Iis. (2012). A Concept of Location-Based Social Network Marketing. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 29, 205-220.
- Uphaus, P., Beringer, B., Siemens, K., Ehlers, A., & Rau, H. (2021). Location-based services – the market: success factors and emerging trends from an exploratory approach. Journal of Location Based Services, 15(1), 1-26.
- Van de Sanden, S., Willems, K. & Brengman, M. (2019). In-store location-based marketing with beacons: from inflated expectations to smart use in retailing. Journal of Marketing Management, 35(15-16), 1514-1541.
- Yim, J., Ganesan, S., Kang, B.H. (2017). Location-Based Mobile Marketing Innovations. Mobile Information Systems, 2017, Article ID 1303919.