Main Article Content
Poverty alleviation has been given high priority on the agendas of international organizations, governments, and civil society organizations in different parts of the world.
The current study mainly aims to evaluate the situation of pro-poor tourism in Egypt; as being the international trend to use tourism as a tool to reduce poverty levels in impoverished slums areas particularly in developing and emerging countries.
This research handles three governorates as case studies representing different levels of welfare and poverty in Egypt; Fayoum as a model of Upper Rural & Urban region, Kafr el-Sheikh as an example of Lower Rural & Urban region, and the Great Cairo as a model of Metropolitan city. The study methodology focuses on the descriptive statistics techniques.
The study reveals- in general- the absence or shortage of interest of pro-poor tourism in both awareness and practice sides.
So, the study- basically- insists on adopting the national strategy and action plan to the development of pro-poor tourism in Egypt in an attempt to stimulate and activating the role of tourism in the fight against poverty.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJTHR is a Sherpa Romeo Journal.
- Afify Ayman, 2008, “Policy Directions in Urban Health in Egypt; Towards Slum Improvement Approach “,
- thWarwick Healthy Housing Conference, the University of Warwick, UK, 17-19 March.
- Attaalla Farouk et al., 2008, "Tourism Development in Fayoum: the Current Position and Future
- Perspective", the Centre of Developmental Studies and Researches, Fayoum University.
- Costa C .Juao, 1991,"Slum tourism as an economic activity, is, it ethical? ATheoretical review", Indian
- Journal of research, Vol.2, PP:1-5.
- CSIR, 2013, Priority Districts Analyses for Economic Transformation High Impact (Catalytic)
- InfrastructureIntertain Areas, Pretoria, South Africa.
- Delic M. Jacqueline, 2010," Trends in slum tourism", university of Guelph, PP:1-9.
- Egyptian Specialist National Councils, 2004, “Secound National Report about Egypt in the Third Millennium
- “, Cairo, Egypt.
- El Laithy Heba, 2011, “The ADCR 2011: Poverty in Egypt 2009’’, Arab Development Challenges
- Background Paper 2011/11, UNDP.
- Engelhart Katie, 2014, Is Slum Tourism Really All That Bad?, http://www.vice.com/read/slum-tourism- katie.engelhart.412.
- Fabian Frenzel, 2010, Does Slum Tourism Make Us Better People?, Bristol business School, University of
- the West of England, UK.
- Fabian Frenzel, 2013,"slum tourism in the context of tourism and poverty " , Journal of geographical society DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203136751
- of Berlin, Vol.144,N2,PP:117-128. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203136751 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203136751
- Gentleman Amelia, 2006, Slum Tours: a day trip too far?, 7May 18.13 BST.
- Goscon Jordi, 2014, "pro-poor tourism as a strategy to fight ", Journal of agrarian change,PP:1-20.
- Hanrahan Mark, 2013, Slum Tourism: Shanty Town Tours in Brazil, India, South Africa Give Travelers
- Glimpse at Poverty; Raise Ethical Questions, the Huffington Post.
- Jaffe Rivke and Durr Eveline, 2012, Theorizing Slum Tourism: Performing, Negotiating and Transforming
- Inequality, European Review of Latin American and Caribbean Studies 93, October 2012, PP: 113-123.
- Ma Bob, 2010, A Trip in to the controversy: A study of slum tourism travel motivations ", University of
- Pennsylvania, Scholarly Commons,PP:1-22.
- Melik James, 2010, "Slum tourism: patrnising or social enlightenment?", Business Daily, BBC world service
- Michot Thibault, 2010, " pro- poor tourism in Kumarakom, Kerala, South India: policy implementation and
- impacts " ,university of Greenwich, PP:1-24.
- Nuissel H. and Heinricks D., 2013, Slums: Perspectives on the Definition, the Appraisal and the Management
- of an Urban Phenomenon. In: Die Erde, Vol. 144(2), PP: 105-116.
- Odede Kennedy, 2010, Slumdog Tourism, Wesleyan University.
- Osman Jamal, 2014, "On tour with the slum tourist in Kenya, PP:1-3.
- Reality Tours & Travel Company, 2013, Responsible Slum Tourism Gaining Momentum in Mumbai,
- Mumbai, India.
- Rogerson Christian M., 2014, Rethinking Slum Tourism: Tourism in South Africa’s Rural Slumlands, DOI: https://doi.org/10.2478/bog-2014-0042
- Bulletin of Geography. Socio-economic Series, No. 26, PP: 19-34. https://doi.org/10.2478/bog-2014-0042 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2478/bog-2014-0042
- Rolfes M., Steinbrink M., and UHL C., 2009, Townships as Attraction: An Empirical Study of Township
- Tourism in Cape Twon, Postdam, University of Postdam
- Routledge, 2012, " Slum tourism: poverty, power and ethics ", retrieved from www.academia .edu, P:1,
- February 2015.
- Sahli Mondher and Davidson Lee (2015): “Foreign direct investment in tourism, poverty alleviation, and
- sustainable development: a review of the Gambian hotel sector”, Journal of Sustainable Tourism, Vol. 23 (2),
- PP: 167 – 187.
- Soderstrom A . Jeanett, 2013, "Travel research slum tourism in South Africa, Pp:1-6.
- Steinbrink Malte, 2012, " We did the slum!-urban poverty tourism in historical perspective ", university of DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14616688.2012.633216
- osnbratoeck tourism geographies: an international Journal of tourism space , place and environment ,PP:1-7. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616688.2012.633216 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14616688.2012.633216
- Tsuruoka Sonia, 2013, Slum Tourism and its discontents, Oxford University Press.
- United Nations Development Program, 2009, Human Development Report in Arab Countries”, Regional
- Office in Cairo, Egypt.
- Wood Kenenth, 2005,"pro- poor tourism as means of sustainable development in In the Uclubamba Valley,
- North Pera ", university of Greenwich, PP:1-177.
- Weiner Eric 2008,"slum visits: tourism or voyeurism ?",of the New York times ,PP:1-7.
- World Bank, 2008, PovcalNet, “Online poverty analysis tool”, http://go.worldbank.org, Accessed in April
- WWW.tourism review.com, 2009, "slum tourism in Mumbai growing in popularity, accessed in January
- WWW.en.wikpedia.org/wiki/slum tourism, 2010, accessed in January 2015.
- WWW.tourism concerniorg.uk 2014,"The symptom often economic disease endured with hope ", Accessed
- in January2015.