Main Article Content
Food waste within the hospitality’s restaurant operations contribute immensely to the global food wastes, and studies reveal that it contributes 45% of wastes through food preparation and production processes, 21% through food spoilage as a result of poor storage and 34% through food leavers as observed from customer plates. Further, research confirms that food wastage has directly resulted in the starvation of over 842 million people, with over 1.3 billion tons documented as food wastages, while substantial amounts of this food waste and losses taking place within the larger hospitality restaurant’s operations.
The factors influencing these food waste generation included; the type of service, the type of food served, the expected and actual numbers of customers, the season and the food service organization, which are addressed by this study in an attempt to propose ways of reducing food waste and losses, and hence promoting food security.
The study narrows down to the prevention solutions approach, which was employed on the basis of; menu design, portion choices and customized dishes, use of smaller plates during service, procuring optimized quantities, proper application of product specifications, and employment of waste tracking and analytics methodologies, which when appropriately applied in the restaurant food operations business will significantly reduce food waste and losses, and by extension global food insecurity.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJTHR is a Sherpa Romeo Journal.
This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of
- (UNDP), U. N. Transforming our world: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. United Nations.
- Aguinis, H. & Glavas, A. (2012). What we know and dont know about social corporate responsibility. Retrieved July 19th, 2018, from A review and reserach agenda.: https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206311436079
- (2016). Analysis of U.S Food Waste among Food Manufacturers Retailers and Restaurants. Newyork: Food Waste Reduction Alliance.
- Auckermann, F. & Eden, C. (2011). Strategic Management of Stakeholders: Theory and Practice. Retrieved July 20th, 2018, from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2010.08.001
- Ball, S. &Abou Taleb, M. (2010). Benchmarking Waste disposal in the Egyptian Hotel Industry.
- Beckford C., Campbel, D.& Barker, D. (2012). Sustainable Food Production Systems and Food Security: Economic and Environmental Imperatives in Yam Cultivation in Trelawny, Jamaica. Sustainability , 542-561.
- Bender, W. H. (1994). An end use analysis of global food requirements. Food Policy.https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-9192(94)90084-1
- Berman, S. D. (2014). Hospitality Directions US: Our Updated Lodging Outlook. Retrieved from Price Water Coopers: http://www.pwc.com/en_US/us/asset-management/hospitalityleisure/publications/assets/pwchospitality-directions-lodging-outlook.pdf
- Brooklyndhurst. (2013). Understanding Out of Home Consumer Food Waste. London: Wrap.
- Brower, J. & Mahajan, V. (n.d.). Drive to be good: A stakeholder theory perspective on the drivers of corporate social performance. Retrieved June 12th, 2018, from http:dx.doi:10.1007/s10551-012-1523
- Bundhun, R. (2010). Abu Dhabi Hotels to go green. Retrieved July 25th, 2018, from The National URL.: http://www.thenational.ae/bussiness/travel-tourism/abu-dhabi-hotels-togo-green
- Buzby, J. & Hyman, J. (2012). Total and per capita value of food loss in the United States. Retrieved December 04th, 2017, from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodpol.2012.06.002
- Chan, C. (2013). Promoting freedom of Association in China? Putting transnational cooporate social responsibily in to a National Context. Retrieved July 13th, 2018, from http://www.doi.10.1080/15339114.2013.771001
- Chan, W. & Au, N. (1998). Profit Measurement of Menu Items: Hong Kong's Chinese Restaurants. Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administartion Quarterly, Volume 39, Issue 2 , 70-75.https://doi.org/10.1177/001088049803900211, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-8804(98)80014-1
- Cheng, B. Ioannou, J., & Serafeim, G. (2014). Cooperate Social Responsibility and access to finance. Retrieved July 17th, 2018, from http://www.doi:101002/smj.2131
- Darškuvienė, V. & Bendoraitiene, E. (2015). Stakeholder expectations and influence on company decisions. Retrieved May 12th, 2018, from https://doi.org/10.7220/AESR.2335.8742.2014.8.2.5
- Meet Middle East. (2013). Gulf Cooperation Council hotel revenue boom predicted by 2016. Retrieved July 25th, 2018, from Int.Meet.Rev.: http://www.international meetingsreview.com/middle-east-and-north-africa
- Fasin, Y. (2012). Stakeholder Management, reciprocity and stakeholder responsibility. Retrieved July 08th, 2018, from https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-012-1381-8
- Freeman, E. (2010). Managing for stakeholders: Trade-offs or value creation. Retrieved July 14th, 2018, from http://www.doi.10.1007/s0551.011.0935-5
- Freeman, R. (1984). Strategic Management: A stakeholder approach. Boston: Pitman.
- Garces-Ayerbe, C. Rivere-Torres, P.& Murillo-Luna, J. (2012). Stakeholder pressure and environmental proactivity: Moderating effect of competitive advantage expectations. Retrieved July 03rd, 2018, from http://www.doi.10.1108/00251741211203524.
- (2010). Green Hotelier. Abu Dhabi.
- Gu, Z. (2014). Management Science Application in Tourism and Hospitality. Hoboken: Taylor and Francis.https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315782478
- Gunders, D. (2012). Wasted: How America is losing up to 40 percent of its food from farm to fork to landfill. Retrieved July 25th, 2018, from Natural Resources Defence Council Issue Paper.: https://www,nrdc.org/food/files/wasted-food-ip.pdf.
- Hackes, B. Sahnkin, C.& Kim, T. (1997). Tray service generates more food waste in dining areas of a continuing- care retirement community. Retrieved from Diet Association: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(97)00213-7
- Horisch, J., Freeman, E., & Schaltegger, S. (2013). Applying Stakeholder theory in sustainability management. Retrieved July 25th, 2018, from Similarities, dissimilarities, and conceptual framework.: http://www.doi:1177/1086026614535786.
- Houghton, L. (2014). Mayor's Food Save Scheem Saves London Restaurants 70 Stones of Waste. Retrieved July 25th, 2018, from BigHospiatlity.co.uk: http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Bussiness/Mayor-s-Food-Save-scheme-saves-Londonrestuarands-70-stone-of-waste
- Jarie M., &. Peter, S. (2012). Prevention of food waste in restaurants, hotels and catering. Copenhagen: Nordic Council of Ministers.
- Kallbeken, S. & Saelen, H. (2013). "Nudging" hotel guests to reduce food wastes as a wine win environment measure. Retrieved July 25th, 2018, from Econ.Lett.119325e327: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2013.03.019
- Kechiche, A. & Soparnot R. (2012). An Assement of Hotels food waste, Literature review. Retrieved July 12th, 2018, from https://doi.org/10.5539/ibr.v5n7p97
- Kocatepe, D. (2017). Food Security in The Food and Beverage Sector. Journal of Food Science and Nutrition Therapy. , 5-8.
- Lam, Y. (2010). Why Do UC Berkeley Students Waste Food at Dining Halls?https://doi.org/10.17352/jfsnt.000007
- Lii, Y. & Lee, M. (2012). Doing right leads to doing well: When type of CSR and reputation interact to affect consumer evaluations of the firm. Retrieved July 25th, 2018, from https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-011-0948-0
- Mackenzie, M., Cheung C, & Law R. (2011). The response of hotels to increasing food costs due to food shortage. Retrieved July 25th, 2018, from Asia Pac.J.Tour.Res.16,395e416.:http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10941665.20100.588869
- Makani, F. L. (2016). Strategies Small Restaurant Owners Use to Reduce Food Wastage and Increase Profits. Minneapolis, Minnesota: Walden University.
- Marthinsen, J., Sundt, P., Kaysen O., & Kirkayaag, K. (2012). Prevention of Food Waste in Restaurants, Hotels and Catering. Copenhagen.: Nordic Council of Ministers.https://doi.org/10.6027/TN2012-537
- Milburn, R. & Hall, L. (2014). Room to grow: European Cities Hotel Forecast for 2014 and 2015. 18 Gateway Cities, Amsterdam Zurich. Retrieved July 23rd, 2018, from Price WaterhouseCoopers.:http://www.pwc.com/en_GX/gx/hospitality-leisure
- Miller E., Hayes, K.& Dopson, K. (2002). Food and Beverage Cost Control, Second Edition. Newyork: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Oelofse, &Suzan. (2014). Food waste in SA - The Magnitude, Cost and Waste. Cape Town: CSIR.
- Okazaki, W., Turn, S., & Flaschbart, P. (2008). Characterization of Food Waste generators: A Hawaii Case Study. Retrieved July 18th, 2018, from Waste Manag.28,2483e2494:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2008.01.016
- Parfitt, J., Eatherly, D., Hawkins, R., & Prowse, G. (2013). Waste in the Uk Hospitality and Food Service Sector. Waste and Resources Action Program (WRAP), UK.
- Pirani, S. & Arafat, H. (2014). Solid Waste Management in Hospitality Industry: A review.Retrieved July 10th, 2018, fromJ.Environ.Manag146,320e336.:http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2014
- Ramos, E. (2011). NADAFA Program Forum Quarterly Meeting. Abu Dhabi Sustainability Group.
- Sanaa, I. & Arafat, H. (2015). Reduction of food waste generation in the hospitality industry. Journal of Cleaner Production , 1-17.
- Sarjahani, A., Serrano, E., & Johnson, R. (2009). Food and non-edible, Compostable waste in University Dining Facility. Retrieved July 16th, 2018, from J.Hunger Environ.Nutr.4,95e102.:http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1932024080276874.
- Savage, G., Nix, T., Whitehead, C., &Blair, J.(1991). Strategies for assesing and Managing organizational stakeholders. Retrieved July 25th, 2018, from www.jstor.org/journal/acadmanaexe2
- Schneider, F. (2013). Review of Food Waste Prevention on an International Level. Retrieved July 21st, 2018, from Proc. ICE Waste Resour. Manag.166,187e203.: http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/warm.13.00016.
- Schneider, F. (2015). Review of food waste prevention on an international level. Proceedings of the ICE-Waste Resource Management. (pp. 187-203). ICE-Waste and Resource Management.https://doi.org/10.1680/warm.13.00016
- Siebers, P. (2013). Food Storage and Shelf Life Guidelines.
- Silvennoinen, K.Katajajuuri, J., & Hartikainier, H. (2012). Food Waste Volume and Composition in the Finnish Supply Chain: Special Focus on Food Service Sector. Fourth International Symposium on Energy from Biomass and Waste. Venice, Italy: CISA Publisher.
- Tang, Z. & Tang, J. (2012). Stakeholder-Firm power difference, Stakeholders' SMEs environmental performance in China. Journal of Bussiness venturing. , 436-455.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2011.11.007
- (2018). The Restaurant Food Waste Action Guide. New York: ReFED.
- Tuppen, H. (2014). Reducing and Managing Food Waste in Hotels. Retrieved July 22nd, 2018, from Green Hotel.: http://www.greenhotelier.org
- Verbeke, A. & Tung, V. (2013). The future of Stakeholders management theory: A temporal perspective. Journal of Bussiness Ethics, 112 (3). , 529-543.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-012-1276-8
- Wolf, J. (2014). The relationship between sustainable supply chain management, stakeholder pressure, and corporate sustainability performance. Journal of Bussiness management. , 56-72.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-012-1603-0