Main Article Content
The article discusses and evaluates theories and models of tourism competitiveness particularly those of Crouch and Ritchie (1999), Dwyer and Kim (2003) and World Economic Forum (2018). Wiklund, J., & Shepherd, D. (2005) the models enable and tries to enlighten more on how they facilitate the understanding and application of tourism competitiveness. World Travel and Tourism Council (2018) competitiveness in the travel and tourism industry is widely preached however, there is no uniform understanding and application of the concepts of competitiveness (Andrades-Caldito L Sánchez-Rivero, M. & Pulido-Fernández J. 2013).
World Travel and Tourism Council (2018) evidently, there are many competitive variations among the top and advanced tourism destinations in the world. Austria is on position one in tourism infrastructural and products competitiveness, France is number one on tourists' visitations but the United States of America and China is number one on receipts/income realized from tourism.
This clearly shows that if the models were perfect and uniformly applied then only one destination could have been number one in all aspects of visitation, infrastructural development, and income generated from the tourism industry. This clearly shows that there is a need for fresh research and development of the models to suffice the variations in the situation. The analysis, evaluation, and comparison of models is based on the research methodology, application (practice), variables used, assumptions and generalizations
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJTHR is a Sherpa Romeo Journal.
This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of
- Andrades-Caldito L Sánchez-Rivero, M. & Pulido-Fernández J. (2013) Differentiating Competitiveness through Tourism Image Assessment: An Application to Andalusia Journal of Travel Research, 52(1) pp68- 81. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287512451135
- Barros C Botti L Peypoch, NRobinot E. &Solonandrasana, B. (2011). Performance of French destinations: Tourism attraction perspectives. Tourism Management, 32(1) pp141 -146.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2010.01.015
- Blanke J. Chiesa T (2013) the Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report 2013. Geneva: World Economic Forum.
- Bornhorst T Brent Ritchie J & Sheehan L. (2010) Determinants of tourism success for DMOs & destinations: An empirical examination of stakeholders' perspectives. Tourism Management, 31, pp572–589
- Caber M. Albayrak T. &Matzler K. (2012) Classification of the destination attributes in the content of competitiveness (by revised importance-performance analysis). Journal of Vacation Marketing, 18(1), pp43–56 https://doi.org/10.1177/1356766711428802
- Crouch G. I. Ritchie, J. R. B. (1999). Tourism, competitiveness, and societal prosperity. Journal of Business Research, 44, 137-152 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(97)00196-3
- Dwyer &Chulwon Kim (2003) Destination Competitiveness: Determinants and Indicators Pages 369-414
- Webster, C. Ivanov, S. (2014). Transforming competitiveness into economic benefits: Does tourism stimulate economic growth in more competitive destinations? Tourism Management 40 pp137-140.
- World Economic Forum (2018) http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_AM18_Overview.pdf retrieved on 15/12/2018
- World Travel and Tourism Council (2018) Travel & tourism economic impact 2018 world accessed from https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/reports/economic-impact-research/regions-2018/world2018.pdf retrieved on 15/12/2018
- Wu W. Lan L. Lee, Y. (2012). Critiquing the World Economic Forum's concept of destination competitiveness: A further analysis. Tourism Management Perspectives, 4 pp198–206.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tmp.2012.08.008
- Zhang H. Gu C Gu L. , Zhang, Y. (2011).The evaluation of tourism destination competitiveness by TOPSIS & information entropy - A case in the Yangtze River Delta of China. Tourism Management, 32, pp443-451 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2010.02.007
- Fernando Perna (2018) Tourism Destination Competitiveness: an application model for the south of Portugal versus the Mediterranean region of Spain: COMPETITIVTOUR Tourism & Management Studies, 14(1), 2018, 19-29 DOI: 10.18089/tms.2018.14102 https://doi.org/10.18089/tms.2018.14102