Main Article Content
Purpose of the study: This study aims to determine the different tour guide practices and challenges in the Province of Quirino.
Methodology: This study uses the quantitative approach. Data collection techniques were interviews and questionnaires that were measured using a Likert scale. The questionnaire was distributed to 22 respondents who were tour guides of the different tourist destinations in the province. The data were analysed using SPSS with the Frequency Counts/ Percentage, Mean and F-test (ANOVA) as statistical tools.
Main Findings: The results of this study indicated most of the respondents are male. The tour guiding practices and the challenges in the province of Quirino is “Strongly Agree” when grouped by sex, age and ethnic affiliation. There is no significant difference on the tour guiding practices among the tour guides in the province of Quirino when grouped by sex and ethnic affiliation.
Implications: The ability of tour guides to provide exceptional service to tourists is crucial not just to the business's profitability, but also to the destination's reputation. As per recommended there should be an established system of on-gong training and assessment to maintain high standards in performance of tour guides. The provincial tourism should continue to improve their services especially more trainings and seminars will be given to the accredited tour guides in the province of Quirino. For a profession that was shifting to maintain its relevance in a world of apps and self-guided tours, this is another change that requires adaptation.
Originality: The study is original and novel, it explored the practices and challenges encountered by tour guides in our province.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJTHR is a Sherpa Romeo Journal.
- Al Jahwari, D. S., Sirakaya-Turk, E., & Altintas, V. (2016). Evaluating communication competency of tour guides using a modified importance-performance analysis (MIPA). International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 28(1), 195–218. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-02-2014-0064
- Ap, J., & Wong, K. K. F. (2001). Case study on tour guiding: professionalism, issues and problems. Tourism Management, 22(5), 551–563. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(01)00013-9
- Aquino, R. S. (2019). Towards decolonising tourism and hospitality research in the Philippines. Tourism Management Perspectives, 31(August 2018), 72–84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tmp.2019.03.01
- Çetı̇nkaya, M. Y., & Öter, Z. (2016). Role of tour guides on tourist satisfaction level in guided tours and impact on re-visiting Intention: a research in Istanbul. European Journal of Tourism, Hospitality and Recreation, 7(1), 40–54. https://doi.org/10.1515/ejthr-2016-0005
- Cavagnaro, E., Staffieri, S., & Postma, A. (2018). Understanding millennials’ tourism experience: values and meaning to travel as a key for identifying target clusters for youth (sustainable) tourism. Journal of Tourism Futures, 4(1), 31– 42.
- Chen, H., Weiler, B., & Black, R. (2018). Exploring knowledge-building in tour guiding research: A content analysis of empirical papers on tour guiding, 1980–2015. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 37, 59–67. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JHTM.2018.09.005
- Chowdhary, N., & Prakash, M. (2008). Challenges of tourist guiding-An assessment of situation in India 1. Conference on Tourism in India-Challenges Ahead, 289–302.
- Clifford, N., Cope, M., Gillespie, T., & French, S. (2016). Key Methods in Geography (Third Edition). Glasgow: Sage Publication.
- Costa, B. J. F., Rodrigues, S. C. S. F., & Pacheco, P. M. (2020). Circular economy and the tourism industry. Journal of Global Business and Technology, 16(1).
- Dagdag, D. T. (2021). Public governance in rural ecotourism: The case of developing economy [Special issue]. Journal of Governance & Regulation, 10(2), 269–289. https://doi.org/10.22495/jgrv10i2siart8
- Francis, Kabii & Wandaka, John & Wamathai, Ann & Jilo, Naghea. (2019). The Role of Tour Guides in Promotion of Sustainable Tourism Practices in Kenya. Journal of tourism and hospitality management, 7.
- Hsieh, H.-J., & Kung, S.-F. (2013). The Linkage Analysis of Environmental Impact of Tourism Industry. Procedia Environmental Sciences, 17, 658–665. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.PROENV.2013.02.082
- Huang, S., Du, C. H. C., & Chan, A. (2010). Tour guide performance and tourist satisfaction: A study of the package tours in Shanghai. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 34(1), 3–33. https://doi.org/10.1177/1096348009349815
- Huang, S., & Weiler, B. (2010). A review and evaluation of China’s quality assurance system for tour guiding. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 18(7), 845–860. https://doi.org/10.1080/09669582.2010.484492
- Levine, T. R., Weber, R., Hullett, C., Park, H. S., & Lindsey, L. L. M. (2008). A critical assessment of null hypothesis significance testing in quantitative communication research. Human Communication Research, 34(2), 171–187. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2958.2008.00317.x
- Magdy, H. (2016). Challenges Affecting the Quality Service of the Tour Guide in Egypt. Almatourism –Journal of Tourism, Culture and Territorial Development, 7(13), 107-116. https://doi.org/10.6092/issn.2036-5195/6013
- Melia, D. (2017). ARROW @ TU Dublin A Career in Tour Guiding : A Case Study of Dublin , Ireland.
- Maguigad, V. M. (2013). Tourism planning in archipelagic Philippines: A case review. Tourism Management Perspectives, 7, 25–33. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.TMP.2013.03.003
- Pilapil-Añasco, C., & C. Lizada, J. (2014). Philippine Tourism: Evolution towards Sustainability. SHS Web of Conferences, 12, 01032.
- Prakash, M., & Chowdhary, N. (2010). Tour guides : Roles, challenges and desired competences A review of literature. International Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Systems, 3(1), 1–12.
- Pırnar, Ige & Kurtural, Sinem & Çelebi, Duygu. (2018). Culture Tourism and the Role of Tour Guides in Improvement.
- Pereira, E. M., & Mykletun, R. J. (2017). To what extent do European tourist guide-training curricula include sustainability principles? Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 17(4), 358–373.
- Roxas, B., & Chadee, D. (2013). Effects of formal institutions on the performance of the tourism sector in the Philippines: The mediating role of entrepreneurial orientation. Tourism Management, 37, 1–12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2012.10.016
- Şahin, S. (2012). Intercultural Communication Efficiencies of Tourist Guides: The Perceptions of German, English and Russian Tourists. (Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis). Turkey: Balıkesir University, Graduate School of Social Sciences.
- Saraiva, A. L. O. & Anjos, F. O. (2019). Tour guide competencies: a study of vocational programs in Brazil. Revista Brasileira de Pesquisa em Turismo, São Paulo, 13(3), 36-54.
- Sekaran, U. (2006). Metode Penelitian Bisnis (Business Research Method) Jakarta: Salemba Empat.
- Shidende, D. M., Kaijage, S. F., & Möbs, S. (2019). Towards enhancing tour guide professionalism in Tanzania through a tour guide portal. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure, 8(4).
- Tsaur, S. H., & Teng, H. Y. (2017). Exploring tour guiding styles: The perspective of tour leader roles. Tourism Management, 59, 438–448.
- Van Heerden, C. H. (2020). Motivation and involvement in camping-a gender perspective. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure, 9(1), 1–14.
- Weiler, B., & Ham, S.H. (2002). Tour guide training: A model for sustainable capacity building in developing countries. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 10(1), 52–69.
- Weiler, B., & Walker, K. (2014). Enhancing the visitor experience: Reconceptualising the tour guide’s communicative role. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 21, 90–99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhtm.2014.08.001
- Weiler, B., & Yu, X. (2007). Dimensions of cultural mediation in guiding Chinese tour groups: Implications for interpretation. Tourism Recreation Research, 32(3), 13–22.
- World Tourism Organization. (2017). UNWTO. UNWTO Tourism Highlights, 10. www.unwto.org
- Zemke, R., Raines, C., & Filipczak, B. (2000). Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, and Nexters in Your Workplace. New York: American Management Association.