Main Article Content
Purpose: This study was done to present a detailed review and analysis of the extraction of ammonia from a range of waste sources.
Methodology: Ten excellent quality kinds of literature were selected for this study. In each literature, the authors have analysed, reviewed and described the adopted methodology, main findings and shortcomings of original research papers.
Main Findings: Extraction of ammonia is a challenge as well as an opportunity, due to its potential application in fertilizer and hydrogen production.
Novelty: Unlike other reviews, it is detailed in nature. The authors have reviewed the methodology, important tables, and images from the original literature.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJSRTM is a SHERPA ROMEO Journal.
- Baltrėnas, P., Januševičius, T., Zagorskis, A. et al. (2021). Removal of ammonia by biofilters with straight and wavy lamellar plates. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol. 18, 1181–1190. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-020-02916-5
- Chang, H. et al., (2022). Consideration of Potential Technologies for Ammonia Removal and Recovery from Produced Water. Environmental Science & Technology, 56(6), 3305–3308. https://doi.org/10.1021/a cs.est.1c08517
- Fumoto, E., Tago, T. & Masuda, T., (2011). Recovery of Ammonia and Ketones from Biomass Wastes. Progress in Biomass and Bioenergy Production, 458. https://doi.org/10.5772/19914
- Haslina, H., Ruwaida, J., Dewika. M, Rashid. M., Ali. A., Khairunnisa. M., and Daniel A. (2021). Landfill Leachate Treatment Methods and Its Potential for Ammonia Removal and Recovery - A Review. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 11. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/1051/1/012064
- Khoshnevisan, B (2020). Coupling electrochemical ammonia extraction and cultivation of methane-oxidizing bacteria for the production of microbial protein. Journal of environmental management, 265, 13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2020.110560
- Kinidi, L., Tan, I.A.W., Wahab, N.B.A., Tamrin, K.F.B., Hipolito, C.N., Salleh, S.F. (2018). Recent Development in Ammonia Stripping Process for Industrial Wastewater Treatment. International Journal of Chemical Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3181087
- Lucas, M., Erik, M., César, M. (2020). Ammonia recovery from food waste digestate using solar heat-assisted stripping-absorption. Waste Management, 113, 244-250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.20 20.05.047.
- Milne, I., Seager, J., Mallett, M. and Sims, I. (2000), Effects of short-term pulsed ammonia exposure on fish. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 19, 2929-2936. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.5620191213
- Ye, S., Michelle, T., Clive, C., Wende, X., Chi-Hwa, W. (2017). An environmental friendly animal waste disposal process with ammonia recovery and energy production: Experimental study and economic analysis. Waste Management, 68, 636-645. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2017.07.027.
- Seruga, P., Krzywonos, M., Pyżanowska, J., Urbanowska, A., Pawlak-Kruczek, H., Niedźwiecki, Ł. (2019). Removal of Ammonia from the Municipal Waste Treatment Effluents using Natural Minerals. Molecules, 24(20), 3633. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules24203633
- Thirunavakkarasu, P. (2017). Optical fibre-based ammonia gas sensor with carbon nanotubes sensing enhancement. https://doi.org/10.1109/TENCONSpring.2017.8069983
- Yukihiko. M., Yuito, S., Takayuki. I., Wookyung. K., Yutaka. N., and Keiya. N. (2021). Reaction Rate of Hydrothermal Ammonia Production from Chicken Manure. ACS Omega, 6(36), 23442-23446. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.1c03418
- Zhiqiang. Z., Zuobin. W., Jiao. Z., Ruifeng. D., Huaxia. P., Yaqi, G., Pengyu. X., Siqing. X. (2021). Ammonia recovery from wastewater using a bioelectrochemical membrane-absorbed ammonia system with authigenic acid and base. Journal of Cleaner Production, 296, 126554. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2021.126554